Monday, January 5, 2009

D-licious Bento!

I've always wanted to make sushi just for fun but never had the time or the ingredients to make any. But now that I'm on break and received this wonderful bento box for my birthday, I no longer have an excuse not to try making it. This fancy bento box was given to me by a good friend of mine, and I just love it! It's really nice to have on special occasions and makes your sushi look absolutely exquisite.


I've made a number of bento boxes and japanese food in the past but this is the first time I ever rolled sushi. I didn't have a bamboo mat so I had to improvise with a thick stack of newspaper sealed in a ziplock bag. The sushi came out pretty well with the improvision but I think I should definitely get a bamboo mat next time to make even tighter rolls. I made California rolls because it was easiest to make with little preparation and ingredients required. I also made an inverted California roll with the nori on the outside and the masago on top. hrmm..maybe there's already a name for it that I don't know of?? On the sides, I added two pairs of gyoza and inari. Personally, I usually don't eat a lot of wasabi but I didn't have any ginger and needed to fill up the empty space for picture-taking purposes. =P Also, the bento box is actually a lot bigger than it looks in the picture and was definitely very filling!